Thursday, March 14, 2013

They love me...they really love (to advertise to) me

Moo offered to help me read it but he doesn't really know how to read.


When I first moved into my apartment, I noticed that many neighbors were receiving advertisements in the mailboxes, but I wasn't. I felt a small pang of jealousy. I felt like such an outsider; why wasn't I being advertised to?! Maybe I'd like to know when avocados are on sale, too! Okay, maybe I didn't feel quite that estranged, but I was curious about what was on offer at the local stores.

Something must have changed because I started receiving adverts, stuffed into the mailbox hole on the building. I knew that I was really becoming integrated into German society when I started receiving the Wochenblatt, which is the weekly journal that covers local stories and upcoming events,  and is entirely in German. Sure, I can barely read any of it, but some day I'll be able to and if a particular story looks good now (with my beginner's grasp of German), I can also translate it online.

However, there is a downside to receiving all of these adverts: I then have to recycle all of them later and the paper recycling pick ups aren't that often. Darn!

3 comments: