Saturday, April 20, 2013

I get by with a little (a lot of!) help from my friends

I'm so thankful for my expat friends. There are some hurdles to moving somewhere new by yourself, and there are even more when one is moving to a new country. My awesome friends have helped me a lot since I've moved here and it's so kind of them. Luckily for me, they are much more fluent in German than I am.

When I went to buy furniture at Ikea (both times), it went something like this:

Me, to salesperson, in German: hello, good day.

German salesperson: something nice in German, which I only understand a few words

and then me saying, Sorry?

German salesperson, looking a bit panicky: some bits of English, but lots of German

My friend, swooping in and saving the day: saying everything for me that needed to be said, auf Deutsch

German salesperson: smiling and looking relieved

Me: smiling and looking relieved



No comments:

Post a Comment