Sunday, June 30, 2013

Do what you want, man: wearing lederhosen at Renaissance Festivals

In my blog, I have a stats counter that lets me know what country blog visitors to the blog are coming from, and if they arrived via a Google search, some of the search terms they used and stumbled across the blog. Some of the search terms are funny, some are strange, and some are downright disturbing. I'm trying not to judge; who knows why people need the information they do; perhaps they're doing a sociological study or something. I guess what should should disturb me is why my blog would show up in such Google results! I mean, there is nothing bad in here, but then again, I don't know what the Google robots are doing behind the scenes.

One benign search term was this: "should I wear my lederhosen to a ren fest," which directed the user to this blog entry.  In interest of being informative, I will give my answer to this, but take it with a grain of salt because I'm still new here. Hehe, it's kind of like ask Ann Landers or something.

I didn't see anyone wearing lederhosen at the Renaissance Festival I attended; I only saw a guy wearing lederhosen when I got home and he had nothing to do with the festival. I saw people either in regular clothes or in Renaissance clothes with a lot of dead animals (i.e. furs) as accents. I did see one girl with punk hair juxtaposed with her Renaissance dress. Lederhosen are definitely not from the same time period. Some people feel that the festivals are for entertainment purposes; others feel that they should be historically accurate. I think that most attendees are more likely to fit into the former category so I'm not thinking anyone is going to call a person out on wearing lederhosen.

Here's my thought on this: lederhosen are expensive. How many chances does a person get to wear them? I'd say carpe diem and wear them, brother. You're already going to stick out because you're American, so why not roll with it?

1 comment:

  1. Lederhosen (16th - 18th century) are most definitely overlapping the Renaissance time period (14th-17th century).

    ReplyDelete