Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Where to buy pita bread in Kaiserslautern


One of my two favorite cuisines is Middle Eastern food. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of that type of food where I live, so I am left to make my own versions. That is a sad thing because I'm not domestic.

However, if I want to have success, I'll have to at least arm myself with supplies. One major supply is at the base of much Middle Eastern food: the tasty pita. I've looked at the local grocery stores like Lidl, Rewe, and even Globus and haven't found what I needed. I've seen some thicker, more Greek style pitas, but those don't work that great for scooping up hummus.

A colleague came to my rescue: she told to find a Turkish or a local ethnic grocery store. My friend who lives in town suggested Naz Market, at Mannheimer Strasse 5-7 in Kaiserslautern. It's on the east side of town, near Kik and Tedi stores.

It has a section of canned vegetables,fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy products, spices, a butcher, and of course, the very important pita bread! There were some other types of bread, like white bread baked in a ring. The pita bread was reasonably priced at 80 cents a bag and tastes just like what I would buy in Dearborn, the mecca (har) of Middle Eastern food in Michigan (heck, probably in the US, since the city boasts the highest number of Arabic speakers outside the Middle East).

I liked Naz; in addition to the food section, there is a very small section for kitchen goods and cleaning supplies. The staff who worked there were very friendly and attentive. I was also thrilled to see that they had doughnut, or Peento, peaches, which are these silly little peaches that look flattened but taste great. I bought a couple of those and told the cashier that I hadn't seen those very often. We chatted about them a bit and he said the ones he was selling came from Spain.

Now that I have the pita bread from Naz, I just need to get making that baba ghanooj that I was thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment