Monday, May 26, 2014

The Zieht table - introducing a draft to the room

I was attending a meeting of an international group at a restaurant. I sat with the English speakers, which happened to be a table of expats. The meeting room was horribly stuffy and I was sweating just sitting there. Our group decided to open the window. We giggled among ourselves, bracing for the onslaught of "Es Zieht!," the exclamation that there's a draft.

See, many Germans are concerned about there being a draft. There is a thought that such a thing can make a person sick. I still haven't wrapped my head around that one because people are encouraged to throw their windows wide open for 5-15 minutes at a time in the winter to air out the house to prevent mold and doing this won't make one sick. However, a misplaced draft, even during the summer, is something to be concerned about, apparently.

I know, from having studied air quality and the like, that it's worse to have everything sealed up tight. I also was feeling a bit ill from the heat. I was so relieved when our renegade table opened the windows. Later, I did see some of the German ladies opening the window on their side so maybe the desire to not pass out from the heat overrode the possibility of the Zieht.

No comments:

Post a Comment