Monday, June 16, 2014

A trip to Hamburg: Day 3, Part 2

After our delicious lunch at Teheran, we finished our Hamburg trip with a visit to the Hamburger Kunsthalle, which was an extensive collection of art. One of our main interests was the special exhibition called "Feuerbach's Muses -- Lagerfeld's Models," a juxtoposition of the 19th century German classicist painter and Karl Lagerfeld, a fashion designer and photographer who portrayed the story of Daphnis and Chloe.

Here's my thoughts on Feuerbach: he liked to paint tons and tons of paintings of his mistress, Nanna, with her head turned. Lagerfeld's photos look like a fashion shoot (which is not surprising). His model, Baptiste Giabiconi, who is deliciously handsome, cannot sit on a horse properly to save his life. I can't help it; I'm an equestrienne and it kills me to see such poor equitation, even though it has nothing to do with the art exhibition.

And, uh, yeah, we also saw a guy doing parkour* outside the museum.


You get on with yo' fancy self!
We wrapped our museum trip up then headed to the Hauptbahnhof, which was conveniently very close, to return home. I loved our visit to Hamburg and hope to go back again soon-ish. Every German I've talked to about it (granted, it's a small group) loves it there and I did too. It has a bit of the fun and funkiness of Berlin; a little bit of the old stately glamor of Wiesbaden; the bustling atmosphere of a port city; and the natural beauty afforded by the lovely parks.


*I call it "fancy walking." Yes, I know it's so much more than that, but that's what I like to call it.

No comments:

Post a Comment