Thursday, June 26, 2014

American Groceries I'd Miss

I currently have the ability to buy American groceries and products at retail prices in the vicinity where I live. I am lucky to have such a privilege, for sure. If I didn't have access to these products, I could certainly make do, and in many cases, find more delicious and inexpensive gourmet-type food on the German economy.

There are definitely some things that I would miss if I couldn't buy them at American prices. The top of my list is the following:

Baking soda available the American food section at a German store
 No, not the Crisco! I'm talking about baking soda. I love that stuff, and not just for baking; in my house, it gets used more often for cleaning! I sprinkle some of it and some vinegar in household drains not only to create a nifty science experiment but also to help clean, sanitize, and deodorize them. I also sprinkle some on the bottom of Moo's litter box after I've washed it to help neutralize odors.

I haven't found inexpensive, big boxes of this in the German stores but I can buy a decently sized box at the commissary. For my extensive use of it, I do really miss being able to buy the really huge boxes for practically nothing at the warehouse stores in the US.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how big the 'huge' ones are but I saw larger boxes at the commissary today than I recall seeing before. 1.19 is crazy for baking soda those. That's twice the commissary price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's totally expensive! I love baking soda for cleaning and well, baking, so it's good that I can buy it at reasonable prices.

    ReplyDelete