Saturday, October 18, 2014

The marshmallow fallacy

When we were in Nuremberg, we were talking to a friendly German guy at the bar about life in the US. He was telling me that one night, he wanted to do something American so he sat in front of the tv and ate some marshmallows out of a bag. I couldn't help it; I burst out laughing! I asked him if he did that because he thought that Americans did just eat in front of the tv (which yes, some people do), or if he thought we ate plain marshmallows. He thought the latter.

He was surprised when I told him that most people (at least the ones I know) in the US don't just eat marshmallows plain. Usually we use them in something, either in s'mores (marshmallows roasted over the campfire, a piece of Hershey's chocolate, and graham crackers) or in Rice Krispie treat bars (puffed rice cereal and melted marshmallows). Even then, we don't eat those all the time. Since I'm from the north, we don't subject our sweet potatoes/yams to marshmallows, but some other regions do, such as the south. Our new German friend thought it was interesting to learn this.



No comments:

Post a Comment