Saturday, April 4, 2015

Restaurant Review: Pizzeria Venezia, Kindsbach Germany

Pizzeria Venezia
Kaiserstrasse 58
Kindsbach


I've almost given up the search in Germany for pizza that I enjoy. Most pizza here just isn't to my taste; the crust is often bland and too salty, the sauce tasteless. Once in a while I sample pizza in hopes of finding something tasty. This week, I was passing through Kindsbach, which is just west of Kaiserslautern. I read reasonably good reviews of Pizzeria Venezia so decided to give it a try.

I was warmly greeted by the waitress and picked a seat. As I perused the menu, I noticed a typical range of Italian dishes, including salads, soup, pasta, meat, and pizza. I decided on the bruschetta pizza and insalata mista (mixed salad).

As I waited for the pizza, I looked around the restaurant. It's located in the ground floor of a hotel. The entry way features a bar area and tables; additional tables are in the back. Outdoors is a garden area for dining during better weather. Parking is available in front of the restaurant.



The mixed salad was large, with fresh, varied types of lettuce accompanied by shredded carrots, cucumbers, and tomatoes. It was covered in a vinaigrette that has a touch of a mustard-taste. It was a decent salad, though the dressing was a bit thickly applied (which isn't uncommon in Germany; ask for the dressing on the side if you prefer a thinner application).

I had asked the waitress how big the bruschetta pizza was and she told me it was large, but when I received it, I was still struck by how big it was; I'd say it was about 14" or so. It's composed of a somewhat thin, wood oven cooked pizza crust topped by a thin layer of pizza sauce and then with tomatoes in a sauce of vinegar, olive oil, and herbs. The tomato topping is added after the pizza bakes so it's room temperature.



I was very impressed by the crust; I think it's the best I've had so far in Germany. Coming from a wood fired oven, it was flavorful and the right combination of crispy and chewy. The sauce was a bit more sweet than I usually prefer but it was still decent. The bruschetta topping was very fresh tasting.

I would probably visit again; I'd be curious to try an actual pizza there as the bruschetta pizza appetizer was quite good. I paid 10 euros for the large meal. The waitress was friendly and efficient. If you plan to visit, do allow extra time for the meal as the wood stove takes longer to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment